Monday, April 30, 2012

How To: Teach a (not that) Old Dog New Tricks

I'm posting this little tidbit just for entertainment's sake - there will still be a full post on Wednesday!

For those of you who are lucky enough to know my furry friend Brodie, you will appreciate this post. For those of you who don't, well, its still funny. Go read the story about the day I got him here

One of the many perks of now owning my own house is having a backyard for Brodie! The two of us are loving having someplace to play with the tennis ball over and over and over again right out the back door.  Brodie was even lucky enough to get a dog door so he can access his own personal playground any time he wants. Only problem is that he has no idea this is the case. Look at him smiling.

You always hear stories about big dogs that think they're lap dogs and can just sit on your lap with their 75 lb self. Brodie, being ever the quirky one, seems to be the exact opposite. In his mind, he must be about 4 times as wide as he normally is. Here are some examples.

Situation: Someone's sitting on the couch with their legs up on the coffee table with a conveniently placed toy right underneath them.
Brodie Logic: Just sit here and stare at it in hopes that someone will move it out of this BY FAR to small space.

Situation: Something moveable is blocking the way to my food.
Brodie Logic: Find alternative route including going around the entire house to avoid it. And then when I get close, i'll sprint and end up tripping myself. Close call. 

Situation: New flap is installed in the door that seems to be on hinges and is exactly the right height for me to walk though.
Brodie Logic: Stare at the door, whine, and start shaking for no apparent reason when too close to this odd flap that magically leads outside.

And then something miraculous happened.

Situation: Someone on the other side of the door has a cookie in their hand. I can see it. And now its gone.
Brodie Logic: Screw everything i'm afraid of. This space looks too small for me but there are COOKIES at stake here.

Close call. I was starting to think the only solution was going be a game of Follow the Leader with me showing him how to operate the door. Pretty positive I'd fit but glad I didn't have to find out. That just sounds like a Mishap waiting to happen.

See you Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment