Wednesday, April 11, 2012

How To: Be the NKOTB

Recently I’ve found myself in an all too familiar situation: I am suddenly suffering from a double dose of New Kid. Certainly by now I should be a pro at this…

My life seems to be shifting quickly in several different directions these past few weeks. I bought a house, left my job and found a new one. All of these things were the right decision for me. I am beyond thrilled by the way it has all turned out except for one teensy weensy itty bitty detail. I DESPISE being the New Kid.

Every time I think about being new somewhere it brings up horrible flashbacks of being new in high school, making my way into the cafeteria, zero friends and at least 30 minutes to sit there feeling alone in a crowd. And I was the New Kid twice in high school. Don’t ever make your kids move junior year… its not fun.

Even without the cafeteria, for some reason being the New Kid always reminds me of Mean Girls. If only I had a Janis to walk me through the jungle that is the cafeteria life as an Almost Adult.

As with all new jobs, getting acquainted with the new standards always puts you on a bit of a learning curve. Like high school, each job has not only its own dress code, rules and etiquette, but its own expectations and you’re walking in blind. Just to be on the safe side, I have a pink shirt picked out to wear today… We wear pink on Wednesdays.

The new neighborhood brings an entirely new set of issues. You might be moving in next to one of those people who are so horribly picky about their yard or a constant noise complainer. So far, its seemed rather uneventful. My across-the-street neighbor even mowed my yard for me. How nice of him! He must have taken pity on me after watching me walk in circles looking for my spigot last week and decided that poor me couldn’t be counted on to take care of my own yard. (Fine by me. His yard looks awesome.)

So how do we handle new kid syndrome?
  1. As awkward as it seems, just strike up conversations. It can be about nothing. I sat on my front porch with Brodie awkwardly while several neighbors were out in their yards before I finally got up the courage to just go walk over. Just rip that band-aid off.
  2. Instead of waiting for an invitation to join in lunch plans at a new job, make some yourself and invite someone else to join you. Its much easier to control the situation than to sit back and hum "All By Myself."
  3. Don't creepily ask your neighbors if they own a lawn service as they park obnoxiously close to your yard. Instead of coming off as inquisitive and interested in business, you might seem weird about people parking in front of your house. (Thank goodness I didn't burn that bridge.)
  4. You don't have to be best friends with all of your neighbors or coworkers, but it definitely helps to be on friendly terms. Make sure to smile and participate in conversation rather than be the awkward, lonely kid.
  5. Be ready to take the back seat. This is not your time to shine - just play follow the leader before you strike out on your own and steal the spotlight.
  6. Its time to be on your best behavior. Make your neighbors and coworkers glad that you're the one who's new.
  7. Keep an optimistic attitude. Pretty soon your new-ness will wear off.
Clear the way party people, I'm the New Kid on the Block.
::crosses arms like Donnie::

No comments:

Post a Comment